MapObjects AddRelate Information and Suggestions
Applies to: MapObjects 2.0
The following things have been found to be important issues when using the
AddRelate method in MapObjects 2.0. Although this list is not intended to be
exhaustive, nor is it guaranteed to work if adhered to in every case, you are
welcome to try these suggestions if you are experiencing problems with AddRelate.
- Relates to MSAccess 2000 *.MDB tables.
- MapObjects 2.0 requires DAO 3.5; MapObjects 1.2
requires DAO 3.0.
- When relating to SQL Server, the relate field must
not be of type nVarChar; use type VarChar.
- When relating to a Paradox field, the related field
must have an Index set.
- A dBASE (.dbf) table file name cannot be more than 8
- A dBASE (.dbf) table field name must be less
than or equal to 11 characters.
- A dBASE (.dbf) table string length must be from
0 to 254 characters.
- A Visual FoxPro database name can not have a file extension
- Paradox database name can not have a file extension
- Paradox related database must have an Index set on
the related field.
- Paradox 3.x & 4.x related Boolean returns -1 for True and 0 for False. Paradox 5.x related Boolean returns True or False. This is probably due to the fact that Paradox
3 & 4 does not support logical data types.
- Excel 3.0 & 4.0 does not support multiple sheets
in a single .xls file.
- In dBase III, IV, V, and FoxPro 2.0, 2.5, and 2.6,
all field names are stored in UPPERCASE.
- When relating to Excel 3.0, 4.0, and Text files,
Table.Name should have '#' instead of '.' and the file extension (e.g.
'test#xls' and 'test#txt').
- Relating to Excel 97 and dBase V will not work
unless Microsoft releases respective ISAMs for DAO 3.5.
- Access databases cannot be read-only or, if using
JET, have securities set. Use ODBC if permissions are required on the *.MDB.